From an employer perspective, a freelancer :
- is an opportunity to gain access to expertise and experience.
- is a variable operational cost that can be terminated the next day.
- does not get pay if they are not working.
- is expected to achieve significant result within relatively short time.
- can extend the capacities and capabilities of existing team.
On the other hand, an employee :
- expects a clearly define role, tasks and responsibilities.
- is part of the personnel cost and incurred additional social charges.
- expects investment of personal time, guidance and directions.
- is motivated, flexible and can adapt to different situation.
- is part of the company culture.
Or perhaps you would say that a freelancer is all the above? and more?